Saturday, September 17, 2011

Wild Alaskan Salmon From Wild Alaska - A Gift From Maria

Yesterday, I had an unexpected and very pleasant surprise. Mummy's friend Maria called me.

Mummy and Maria
                                                              
Maria had just received a shipment of Wild Alaskan Salmon from her friend in Alaska. Her friend's husband goes out on his fishing boat and catches these amazing Wild Alaskan Salmon, which they then fillet, package, and freeze.


Airtight package for freezing  and shipping
Maria was calling to ask me if I was interested in coming to her home to pick up a salmon fillet. It was uncanny, because I had been thinking about what I wanted to eat on Friday, and I had a real hankering for some good fish. Now, Maria knows how much I love to cook and eat good food, so she probably already knew my answer before she even asked the question. I don't think she even realized how excited I was about the proposition.

Of course, my answer was YES and within the hour, I was at Maria's home with my little cooler and ice in hand. As I drove home, I was brainstorming about how I should prepare my treasure, this prized Wild Alaskan Salmon. I was thinking of my salmon recipes like Pan-Seared Salmon and Salmon Wellington.

When I got home, I took the fillet out of the package and displayed it on a platter to fully appreciate its beauty. The photos below show about two thirds of the whole fillet, just to give you an idea of the size.


Note the beauty of the intense salmon color

Some people don't enjoy the skin of the salmon and usually remove it prior to cooking. I think that the salmon skin is one of the best treats when cooked properly. By pan frying, you can make the skin crispy which is a really nice contrast with the moist texture of the salmon.


Salmon fillet, skin side up

So, while I was contemplating how I should cook my salmon, I had a light bulb go off in my brain with a flash of genius that set my mind and palette on a completely different track. 


To find out what happened next, tune in for my next blog post... 
  


                                                        
                                                                 
                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment